Mrs. W.H. Pettit Memorial chapel, 1906, Belvidere, Illinois. When William Pettit, a beloved physician from northern Iowa, died suddenly, the state mourned, with newspapers suggesting that perhaps only the state governor was more popular. To honor her husband, Emma Pettit commissioned Wright to design the Pettit chapel as a public memorial. The small, understated chapel is one of the earliest examples of Wright’s Prairie style. This rug design comes from drawings for rugs that Wright proposed for the chapel; however, were never executed. Completed in 1907, the chapel stands next to the grave of Mr. Pettit in the Belvidere Cemetery.
This Frank Lloyd Wright Collection product is authorized by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation, Taliesin West, Scottsdale, Arizona, U.S.A. “Frank Lloyd Wright”, “Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation” and the Frank Lloyd Wright signature trademarks of the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation are used with permission. A portion of the sales of this product supports the conservation and education programs of the Foundation.
®/TM/© 2019, Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation.
All Rights Reserved.